Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Adventure game via jQuery, AJAX, and MVC

Next quarter, I'm very likely going to be tasked with starting work on the MVC version of our company's public-facing website. It's going to be a massive undertaking, especially for me given how little I know of the company's system. That's okay though. I'm confident that I'll manage get up to speed in that time. I've already made great strides, if I do say so myself.

Meanwhile, one of the real innovations we're going to join in on is the whole jQuery / AJAX / MVC bandwagon. Personally I think this is great - I'm absolutely in love with all three technologies, especially given how easy they are to integrate together. Smitten though I may be, however, I'm most definitely not as proficient with them as I will have to be in order to pursue an undertaking of this magnitude.

To that end, I've decided I'm going to create a fun little project that will hopefully get me up to speed. I am going to write a little adventure game using jQuery, AJAX, and the ASP.NET MVC Framework. When I say adventure game, think Colossal Cave Adventure or Zork. It's not going to be fancy at all, or probably even all that fun for anyone but myself, but that's not the point. I want to use this as a learning tool - and I plan on posting on my progress and insights here.

I'm thinking about starting an open source project for this so you guys can check out my progress, if you want. Meanwhile, I need to think of a name... =)

No comments: